Pilates or yoga: What is the difference?
Both Pilates and yoga involve relaxing and low-impact workouts which produce physical changes that benefit our health (e.g. improved strength and flexibility).
However, as the two forms of exercise continue to rise in popularity, so does the confusion between the different styles of workouts.
Similarities between Pilates and Yoga:
- Low-impact workouts with an emphasis on bodyweight resistance
- Target the body as a whole rather than specific muscle groups
- Multiple variations and class options available at gyms/studios as well as via online
- Classes can vary depending on skill, desired intensity, and goals
Differences between Pilates and Yoga:
- Yoga began in India over 3,000 years ago to create a mind-body connection
- Key focuses of yoga are breathing, meditation, and movement
- Pilates is newer and was designed by Joseph Pilates developed during World War I
- The main principles of Pilates are correct alignment, concentration, precision, centering, control, breathing, and flow
- Yoga is considered a form of exercise that has the practitioner focus inward
- Pilates asks the practitioner to focus their awareness on their physical body
Benefits of Yoga
- Improved cardio and respiratory fitness
- Improved mindfulness
- Reduce levels of inflammatory markers which can be beneficial for many chronic diseases (e.g. asthma, arthritis, and ulcerative colitis).
- Relieve migraine
- Improve balance and mobility
- Promote better sleep through increasing melatonin production
Benefits of Pilates
- Improved balance
- Increased strength and flexibility
- Enhance joint stability
- Reduce pain and lower injury risk
- Improve mindfulness
- Beneficial for pre-and postnatal women
Pilates or Yoga: Which One Is Better?
- Pilates and yoga are well suited to different body types and abilities, and both offer multiple benefits.
- For a person who enjoys strength training, (i.e. workouts within a gym) the resistance training offered through Pilates may better suit them.
- Whereas, for an individual who enjoys a more spiritual practice with flowing and full-body motion, yoga may be the better choice of the two.
Here at Physio Plus NI, both Pilates and Yoga classes are available
- Monday 17:45
- Tuesday 20:00
- Wednesday 10:00 and 19:00
- Thursday 09:45, 11:00, 18:00
- Friday 10:00
- Monday 19:00 + 20:15
- Tuesday 10:00 + 11:10
- Wednesday 18:00
- Friday 19:15
For more information:
Please call us now on: 028 9187 1701 or visit our Contact Us page.